Safety & Quality of Life in Santa Clara City
Mission Statement – To promote and maintain a safe and desirable living environment in Santa Clara. To preserve and improve the quality of our community by administering a fair and unbiased compliance program to correct issues of municipal code violations by educating our residents.
The Santa Clara Code Enforcement program was created in February of 2017. Due to the increased number of complaints from our residents the City is receiving on a regular basis, a part-time employee was hired and charged with enforcing portions of municipal codes adopted by the City. The goal is to maintain a clean and safe environment for our entire community to live, work, and play.
Be a Good Neighbor!
You can help make Santa Clara a better place to live, work, and play by making yourself familiar with City codes/ordinances. Similar to our Police Departments “Know Your Neighbor Program” we encourage you to communicate with your neighbor and try to resolve differences before calling. This creates a win-win situation for everyone involved within our community.
Filing a Complaint
When filing a complaint, please provide the following information:
- Address of the violation
- A detailed description of the violation
- Your name and phone number (this information is kept strictly confidential and may be used to contact you for further information)
- If possible a photograph (not required but helpful)
An initial inspection will be conducted to determine if any code violations are or have occurred. If a violation is found, contact will be made by the Officer with owner of the residence. This contact can be made a couple of different ways, either in person, or by mailing a notice of violation. Once the owner is given notice, he/she is afforded the opportunity to correct the violation within a certain number of days. If the violation continues, the owner may be subjected to a citation to appear before the Santa Clara Justice Court. Violations are usually classified as class “C” and “B” misdemeanors.
Common Code Violations Include:
- Overgrown weeds and lawn-cannot be greater than 18″ (inches)
- Parking of inoperable vehicles not behind setback area
- Storage of rubbish, trash, and debris
- Farm animals
- Short-term rentals in residential neighborhoods
For the following complaints please contact departments listed below:
- For noise ordinance and vehicles parked on the street, please contact Police Dispatch at (435) 634-5730.
- For Fire code and concerns, please contact fire dispatch at (435) 634-5730.
- For building code questions and concerns, please contact Building Department at (435) 656-4690 Ext 215.
- For Animal Control questions or concerns, please contact Dispatch at (435) 634-5730.