In Santa Clara at 3356 Santa Clara Drive stands a pioneer-era home built in 1862 by Mormon craftsmen for area settler, Jacob Hamblin. The home is constructed of Ponderosa timbers from Pine Valley and local red sandstone. The building was home for Jacob Hamblin and his family and was also headquarters for his missionary work, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Jacob Hamblin was sent by Brigham Young, the Church leader at the time, as a missionary to southern Utah and became a noted Indian agent, colonizer and peacemaker. He worked out treaties with the sometimes hositle Indians and was called to mediate whenever trouble arose.
The storage chamber on the back of the house was built into the hillside to assure a cool temperature to store the homegrown grains and vegetables raised by the women and younger children. The older boys, including an adopted Indian son, helped manage the herds of fine cattle and sheep. Jacob was known for his York peaches and sweet-pit apricots.
The bedrooms of his two wives have matching fireplaces which not only kept them warm during the mild winters but also served as kitchen stoves for cooking. The bedrooms are also similar in that each one has a stairway leading up to the weaving room and the children’s bedroom.
During his lifetime, Jacob Hamblin had 24 children, but with the spread in their ages only about half of them lived here at any one time.