All Building Permits must be applied for ONLINE.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Short-term Rentals allowed in Santa Clara?
Short term rentals have been becoming increasingly popular recently. Short-term rentals are considered a rental that occurs in a home between the property owner and a renter that only requires the home for one night or up to 29 days of stay. Santa Clara City encourages rentals such as these, however; there are only certain areas within the city that are zoned for the short term or nightly rentals. The two subdivision development areas that Santa Clara City currently allows for these type of rentals are: Paradise Village at Zion and Lava Falls at Entrada. Any home that is in an R-1-10 residential zoned area, is NOT permitted to have a short-term type of rental at that property. As per Section 17.20.260(A), the Santa Clara City Code states that if a short term rental property takes place outside of the currently allowed zoned areas, could result in a $750 per day penalty as well as a Class B Misdemeanor $1000 fine. If you have any questions, please feel free to call or visit the Building Department and we would be happy to help with explanations about this ordinance.
How do I request an inspection?
All inspections requests must be made online.
Click the link below to Login to your permit.
You may request a building inspection by clicking the link below to login to your permit. MINIMUM 24-HOUR NOTICE REQUIRED!
Username = 17-011 (permit #)
Password = build17-011 (first 5 characters of Builder Name + permit number as stated above)
NOTICE: Contractors & Owner/Builders
Required inspections on new homes, additions, remodels, garages, and any other permitted project that may apply:
1. Footings/Piers – Exterior, Interior and Spot/Column. All steel elevated. Engineered footing designs must have special inspections completed by Engineer
2. Underground Plumbing – prior to covering, water tested
3. Underground Mechanical – prior to covering
4. Electrical Trench – trench open – conduit in place 32″ min. below final grade
5. Slab/Holddowns – all straps/hold-downs in place
6. Foundation Walls – Reinforcing Steel – as per engineer’s plans
7. Sewer and Water Laterals – installed with air or water test
8. Rough Framing – provide truss specs at this time
9. Rough Electrical – installed as per electrical code
10. Rough Mechanical – installed as per mechanical code
11. Rough Plumbing – installed as per plumbing code with air or water test
12. Rough Gas – pressure tested
13. Interior/Exterior Sheer Walls – OSB – as per plans or engineer requirements
14. Insulation – insulation installed with vapor barrier in place
15. Interior Sheetrock- Installed as per manufactures recommendations
16. Lath – after insulation board installed and prior to first coat of stucco
17. Permanent Power (meter set) – system in place ready to use
18. Drive Approach – compaction test done by an engineer, report due at final inspection
19. Shower Pan – installed as per listing requirements
20. Landscaping – installed as per stormwater ordinance 13:24:50
21. Final – house complete, ready for occupancy